Through the Looking Glass | Challenge 1Feb 28, 2021
In this first official Almond community challenge, you’ll be tasked with designing a product or an object that requires the user to look through. This could be anything from a pair of sunglasses to a kaleidoscope. Be creative and have fun with it!
- One (1) hero render of your design concept, at least 1920px on the longest edge. For example, a landscape image should be 1920px+ in width, and a portrait image should be 1920px+ in height.
- Supporting presentation renders. For example, front, back and side images (as well as anything else you’d like to include up to a maximum of 10 images).
- A callout sheet presenting the key elements of the design.
Awards and Prizes
- 1st Place: One (1) 100% off voucher towards an Almond class of your choice (valid for 1 year whilst the library grows), One (1) 50% off voucher, a certificate of commendation and a 1st place virtual prize trophy.
- 2nd Place: One (1) 100% off voucher, a certificate of commendation and a 2nd place virtual prize trophy.
- 3rd Place: One (1) 50% off voucher, a certificate of commendation and a 3rd place virtual prize trophy.
- Honourable mentions: A certificate of commendation and an honourable mention virtual prize trophy.
- Art Martins (Designer) - Interior Design Manager, Canoo
- Jo Barnard (Industrial Designer) - Founder and Creative Director, Morrama
- Emma Buckley (Designer) - CMF Designer, Arrival
- Nicholas Baker (Industrial Designer) - Designer, Nicholas Baker Studio
- Shaun Wellens (Designer) - Visualiser and Creative Director, Rocksalt
Design concepts will be judged on both aesthetic values and functionality. Further consideration will be given to areas such as problem solving, creative interpretation of the brief and strong presentational skills (modelling, rendering, layout etc).
The idea of an Almond design challenge is to foster a spirit of community, the sharing of knowledge and to commend others within that community for their achievements. We therefore encourage you to share your work-in-progress, seek feedback, and provide feedback to those that seek it themselves. The best way to engage in conversation surrounding this challenge will be through our Discord server, but feel free to engage with others across platforms such as Instagram. Please share your progress with us using the official challenge hashtag #AlmondTTLG across social media, we can’t wait to see what you get up to!
Key Dates and Submission
- Deadline: Wednesday 17th February 2021, 11pm GMT.
- Winners Announcement: Friday 26th February 2021
- Eligibility: anyone and everyone is eligible to take part in the challenge.
- Copyrights: No infringement upon existing copyrights (such as using an existing brand’s intellectual property).
- All entries must be original work, and not based on the works of an existing design from another designer or brand.
How to Submit
- All deliverables must be submitted via our Discord server (you can join our Discord server here) before Wednesday 10th February at 11pm GMT.
- Submissions must be posted to the #submissions channel under the Challenges category.
- We would love to see your process, and so please feel free to seek feedback by sharing your work-in-progress in the #work-in-progress channel under the Challenges category. You can also share your process with us by using the official challenge hashtag #AlmondTTLG
We're looking forward to seeing what you create - good luck!